MSIE does not close down instantaneously. Don't immediately
try to relaunch it.

I solved this with our scripts by introducing a 3 second delay
between closing MSIE and reopening it.

Another solution is to never close, or keep an IE window open
somewhere (so that browser closes aren't actually closing down
MSIE).

We needed to flush login sessions properly with a non-deal
app, so we just delayed.