On 23/01/07, Bret Pettichord wrote:

This is largely because Watir is stupid in this area. We made a bad
design choice with Watir 1.0. We'd now like to make Watir consistent and
start with 0 everywhere (like everything else in Ruby) but this would
raise compatibility issues. We welcome your thoughts in this area.

I think being consistent everywhere would be a good thing.  If that means
being consistent with Ruby and starting at 0, then so be it.

Personally, I think the person who first coded programming/scripting
languages to start counting at 0 should have had his/her head examined and
then been committed to an insane asylum.  I've learnt many programming
languages over the years and even once sat and painfully read through a
series of programming language manuals as long as a desk shelf back almost
20 years ago.  I still recall how that language was hailed as a
Fourth-Generation Language that was supposed to make programming easier
because the syntax and vocabulary (commands, methods, etc) were closer to
more natural language.  It seemed ironic that the "easier" the language was
supposed to be, the more manuals were required to teach you how to program
in it.

The point here is that it is "natural" for human beings to start counting at
1.  I have never in my entire life ever heard anyone start counting at 0.
*That* is stupid.

"So, Paul, how many children do you have?"  "Well, my first boy would be 0,
and my second son would be 1, so I guess I have 1 child."  Even the Cat in
the Hat's best friends are "Thing 1" and "Thing 2".  I would have like to
have heard Dr. Seuss' thoughts on the topic of counting.

If machines can't be made to speak *our* language, then they're not very
useful.  Forcing people to think and code in that way is an impediment to
clear, human thought IMHO.

In the absence of something good, I'll take something consistent.  The
"enemy you know" and all that, right?  If you want to attract
non-programmers to the use of the tool, then you will have to appeal to them
in a friendly, non-programming way.  (That would include not forcing them to
rethink how to count because that's not a friendly thing to do.)

I recall Gracie Hopper once saying that if you hear the phrase "that's the
way it's always been done" then you know it's time to change it.

Well, you asked for my thoughts. ;-)  Thanks for asking.  Let me just put
this soapbox away for now.. ;-)

Cheers.  Paul C.