If this is a javascript popup you can take a look at the FAQ
http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/FAQ for handling javascript popups.
Otherwise if this is an IE specific modal dialog, then using watir 1.5.1 you
can access the modal_dialog through your ie object. Let us know if either of
these two work.

-Charley