alan wrote:
> In my watir script i would like to have it go to open a dos command window
> and start sqlplus, then run a simple query to see if a member exists, the
> flow would be something like:
> open cmd.exe
> log in as [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> pass the password somewhere around here
> do query select * from members where name = 'testername'
> if cmd contains(testername)
> puts 'yay'
> else
> puts 'drat'
> end
>
> is this easily done? so far after spending most of the day in google and
> trying some different ideas I still have nothing. suggestions?
> i'm new to sql and watir, but since i did make watir send results to and
> excel file I figure this must also be doable.

You should use Ruby's system command to directly call sqlplus and put
your commands in a file that is then passed as an argument to sqlplus.
You will need to refer to the sqlplus command line documentation for
details on how to do this.

I am currently using this approach to run scripts using sqlcmd, which is
the SQL Server corolate to Oracle's sqlplus.

Some other people have suggested other methods for accessing a database,
which you may also want to experiment with, but this approach will
probably be the easiest for you.

Bret