  From: Jeff Fry
  To: wtr-general@rubyforge.org
  Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8:06 PM
  Subject: [Wtr-general] RDOC - Help determining what needs documentation

  OK, I've learned (and documented on the wiki) how to: create a svn working
copy, edit the rdoc text, generate an rdoc using rake, and then generate a
patch file. There is of course a crucial step missing there...and that's
knowing what needs to be documented.

  Brett and I had hoped that a way to find some of what needs documenting was
for me to read through his tagged Thunderbird archive of watir posts. After
some wrangling, I got the mail...but not the tags. >From this conversation on
the Thunderbird forums, it seems like the tags can't be transfered:

  I'm left hoping we can find another way for me to learn what's been added but
not documented in v1.5. So Brett, Charley, Paul, or others involved in building
v1.5...if you were going to update the rdoc, how would you know what to edit?
If you were going to be making the edits yourself, what parts are most time
consuming for you? Would it be worth your time come up with a rough list of
things that need documentation and pass that to someone else to document? Or
does generating that list constitute the bulk of the work, after which there's
not much point in delegating the writing? Alternately, is there a way that you
could teach me to generate that list of things that needs documenting?

  One specific example - how can I determine what methods can take :class as a
parameter? I know that this works for button, text_field and div...but is there
a way I can find out what other methods take :class via searching source code
in eclipse? I just tried reading & searching watir.rb for clues...but I got
lost.

  I hope I can find a way through this last crucial step so that I can submit a
useful rdoc patch. If I manage to get or generate a list of to-dos, I can still
easily put a full day into editing the rdoc...but I'll need to do that day
between now and early this Friday.  After that I'm away for a weekend and then
starting a new job, where I suspect I'll be too overwhelmed for a month or two
to contribute significantly.

  Thanks,
  Jeff

  --