Where are you running the last command from and where is your watir gem?

open up irb at the command line and type the following:
irb>require 'watir'
irb>puts Watir::IE::VERSION

My guess is it's still 1.4 something.  Exit irb and type this:
gem list --local watir

or check your path, at the command prompt type
set path

Perhaps you're refering to a different ruby install on your path?

These are my best guesstimates and troubleshooting guidelines.

-Charley