The newest gem has fixed the problem I was having with segmentation
faults, and I have been able to get up to 8 concurrent windows running,
but now I am hitting a new problem when I try to get to 12.

As I get up around 12 ie instances running, new instances seem to be
created without the handle getting back to Watir, they just sit at my
home page doing nothing, and never close. This is a problem beyond just
having one failed test instance because they start to pile up and drain
resources, crashing the scripts when then get to the mid 30s. I put a
"puts $!" in the script to see what it was telling me, and I got a
collection of various errors. Most of these show up many times in the
full output:

visible
    OLE error code:0 in <Unknown>
      <No Description>
    HRESULT error code:0x80010108
      The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.
unknown property or method `visible'
    HRESULT error code:0x80010108
      The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

    OLE error code:0 in <Unknown>
      <No Description>
    HRESULT error code:0x80010108
      The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

unknown property or method `hwnd'
    HRESULT error code:0x800706ba
      The RPC server is unavailable.

unknown property or method `hwnd'
    HRESULT error code:0x800706be
      The remote procedure call failed.

unknown property or method `visible'
    HRESULT error code:0x800706ba
      The RPC server is unavailable.

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/watir-1.5.1.1192/./watir.rb:1733:in
`method_missing': unknown property or method `quit'
(WIN32OLERuntimeError)
    HRESULT error code:0x800706ba