-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Oct. 12, 2000
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

MILOSEVIC WARNS YUGOSLAVS: "NATO POWERS ARE
BEHIND OPPOSITION"

[Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic spoke to the nation on
Oct. 2 over radio and television. Below are excerpts from
that talk, which has been distorted in Western media reports.]

As you know, efforts have been underway for a whole decade
to place the entire Balkan peninsula under the control of
some western powers. A big part of that job was done by
establishing puppet governments in some countries, by
transforming them into countries with limited sovereignty or
even deprived of any sovereignty at all.

Due to our resistance to such a fate for our country, we
were subjected to all forms of pressure to which people in
the contemporary world can be subjected. The number and
intensity of the pressures multiplied as time went by. All
experience the big powers gained in the second half of the
20th century in overthrowing governments, causing unrest,
instigating civil wars, disparaging or liquidating national
freedom fighters, bringing states and nations to the brink
of poverty--all this was applied to our country and our
people.

A grouping has for a long time now been present in our midst
that, under the guise of opposition political parties of
democratic orientation, represents the interests of
governments which are the protagonists of pressures against
Yugoslavia, and especially against Serbia.

That grouping appeared in these elections under the name
Democratic Oppo sition of Serbia. Its true head is not its
presidential candidate. Its head for many years has been the
president of the Democratic Party and collaborator of the
military alliance that waged a war against our country. He
could not even conceal his collaboration with that alliance.
In fact, our entire public knows of his appeal to NATO to
bomb Serbia for as many weeks as necessary to break its
resistance.

FALSE PROMISES OF PEACE AND PROSPERITY

The grouping organized in this manner for these elections
therefore represents the armies and governments that
recently waged war against Yugoslavia. In representing their
interests, the grouping launched messages to our public
that, with them at the head, Yugoslavia would be out of any
danger of war or violence, that economic prosperity would
come, the standard of living would improve visibly and
rapidly, that Yugoslavia would allegedly reintegrate in
international institutions, and so forth.

Distinguished citizens, it is my duty to warn you publicly
and in time that such promises are false and that the
situation is quite different. It is precisely our policy
that guarantees peace and theirs only lasting conflicts and
violence. With the establishment of an administration
supported or installed by a community of countries gathered
within NATO, Yugoslavia would inevitably become a country
whose territory would quickly be dismembered.

These are not only NATO's intentions. These are the pre-
election promises of the Democratic Opposition of Serbia.

Within this policy of dismembering Yugoslavia, Kosovo would
be the first victim. Its present status would be proclaimed
legal and final. The remaining territory that would bear the
name Serbia would be occupied by international, U.S. or some
third military forces, which would treat this territory as
their military training ground and as their property to be
controlled in line with the interests of the power whose
army is present there.

We have been looking at cases of such control and
consequences thereof for decades, and especially in this
decade in many countries around the world, unfortunately
lately even in Europe, for instance in Kosovo, Republika
Srpska and Mace donia, in our immediate neighborhood.

They do not want peace or prosperity in the Balkans. They
want this to be a zone of permanent conflicts and wars that
would provide them with an alibi for their lasting presence.

DIVISION INTO RICH AND POOR

A great division into a poor majority and a rich minority--
this has been the picture of eastern Europe for some years
now that we can all see. That picture would also include us.
We, too, would under the command and control of the owners
of our country quickly have a tremendous majority of the
very poor, whose prospects of coming out of their poverty
would be very, very uncertain and far away.

The rich minority would be constituted by the black
marketeering elite, which would be allowed to be rich only
on condition that it be fully loyal to the command which
decides the fate of their country. Public and social
property would quickly be transformed into private property,
but its owners, as demonstrated by the experience of our
neighbors, would as a rule be foreigners.

Among few exceptions would be only those who would purchase
their right to ownership by their loyalty and submission,
which would lead to the elimination of elementary national
and human dignity. The greatest national assets in such
circumstances become the property of foreigners, and the
people who used to manage them would continue to do so in
these changed circumstances but as employees of foreign
companies in their own country.

National humiliation, state fragmentation and social poverty
would necessarily lead to many forms of social pathology, of
which crime would be the first. This is not just an
assumption, this is the experience of all countries which
have taken the path that we are trying to avoid at any cost.

The centers of European crime are no longer in the west,
they were moved to eastern Europe a decade ago. Our people
already find it hard to bear the present crime incidence, as
we lived for a long time--from World War II to the 1990s--in
a society that hardly knew any crime at all.

One of the essential tasks of a puppet government in any
country, including ours were we to have such a government,
is loss of identity. Countries under foreign command
relatively quickly part with their history, their past,
their tradition, their national symbols, their way of
living, often their own literary language. Invisible at
first, but very efficient and merciless selection of
national identity would reduce it to a few local dishes, a
few songs and folk dances, the names of national heroes used
as brand names for food products or cosmetics.

I would like to stress particularly because of young people,
intellectuals, scientists, that countries deprived of
sovereignty are as a rule deprived of the right to creative
work, and especially creative work in the field of science.
Large centers and large powers finance scientific work,
control its attainments and decide about the application of
its results. Dependent states, if they have scientific
laboratories and scientific institutes, are not independent
ones but operate as branches controlled by one center. Their
attainments must remain within bounds that will not
introduce in occupied countries and occupied peoples the
seed of rebellion and emancipation.

At this moment ahead of the run-off elections, because the
Democratic Opposition of Serbia doubts it can achieve the
result it needs, leaders of the Democratic Opposition of
Serbia with money introduced into the country are bribing,
blackmailing and harassing citizens and organizing strikes,
unrest and violence in order to stop production, all work
and every activity.

I considered it my duty to warn the citizens of our country
about the consequences of the activities financed and
supported by the governments of NATO countries.

- END -

(Copyleft Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)