-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the March 15, 2001
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: STANLEY KRAMER

Stanley Kramer

Monica Moorehead's recent article on the death of filmmaker
Stanley Kramer recalls for me how one of his films and a
mass movement changed my life.

In 1962 I was a 27-year-old, not totally backward white
worker (without a job) living in New York City. Tiring of
the rejections my job hunting was producing, I ducked into
one of the rerun movie theatres on 42nd Street where
Kramer's "Judgment at Nuremberg" was showing. Like "The
Defiant Ones" it was not a revolutionary film. In fact, as I
later learned, it had serious flaws in its history and its
politics.

But I did not know that at the time. What I did know was
that I on the one hand had grown up in an area of the Bronx
with a large Jewish community, of whom many were my
playmates and friends. Of the many jobs I had as a very
young child, one was heating up the soup and turning on the
lights for an elderly Jewish couple on each Saturday
afternoon when their Orthodox religion forbade them from
doing it on the Sabbath (I was a sabat goy). Another was
helping out at the weekly Sunday night dance at the
synagogue right across from my house.

On the other hand I was raised in a home where anti-Semitism
and anti-communism were intertwined and ever present. There
were so many pictures of the anti-Semitic Father Charles
Coughlin in our house that I thought he was a relative to me
or my six brothers and sisters.

"Judgment at Nuremberg" attacked my contradictions with a
message that the Nazis succeeded because those who opposed
them did nothing. Being ignorant I did not know that this
was not true. I made a one-to-one relationship between the
situation of Jewish people in Germany and Black people in
the United States. From this I decided that if those in
Germany who disagreed with the Nazis should have joined in
active support of the Jewish people, then those here who
disagree with the United States form of Nazism should give
active support to the struggle of Black people.

So I hitchhiked to Albany, Georgia, where I got arrested
along with Eddie Brown, a young Black man from Albany trying
to integrate the lunch counters in Crowe's drugstore. Our
action was sponsored by the Student Non-Violent Coordinating
Committee, which, along with the Southern Christian
Leadership Council, was leading the struggle. We wound up in
the same jail with Dr. King and many other fighters. The
jail of course was segregated.

Had there been no struggle going on I would not have known
what to do. But because there was a Movement there, it
allowed me to act on the message I got from the film. To act
means to fight for your beliefs. It shows that even backward
people can be drawn into the struggle and educated. That is,
if there is a Movement there when they see the need.

I give thanks to Kramer, I give many thanks to those who
built the Civil Rights Movement and gave meaning to my life,
and I really thank Workers World Party and its newspaper for
making the struggle everlasting.

Bill Massey

Chicago

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)