Thanks for fleshing this out!

Your characterisation of wxc/wxdirect sounds better. Can't claim to be new at
this myself, but it's been a while.

In the absence of a response from the devs, I would suggest not waiting for a
blessing and going ahead and modifying wxdirect if working from the json for
the macro view of the *.h files any easier. You lose nothing from it (well,
time, but time that would be spent anyway doing the equivalent pre-processing
yourself) and you potentially make life easier for others in the process.

Only thing I might be nervous about is making wxdirect depend on libraries that
don't ship with the Haskellp platform (presumably something like aeson) because
I'm not sure what the implications would be for expressing pkg dependencies
(when the deps are used for Setup.hs and not the program itself). In the worst
case though, you could turn wxdirect into a library and make tool that depends
on it.

Would be curious to see how wxOcaml dealt with the same situation, if they just
up and parsed our header/macros.

It could also be a good way to become for familiar with wxdirect/wxc.

Thanks!

Eric

On 4 November 2013 at 08:13:26, Martin DeMello (martindeme...@gmail.com) wrote:

> [...]
>have an exact idea of the class and method hierarchy, and whether
>method arguments are in, out or in/out, without having to
>independently deduce the information.
>
>In the long run it would be great if wxRust, wxOcaml etc. started
>contributing back to wxc, but to start off I was proposing the simpler
>step of at least building on rather than duplicating the work that
>wxHaskell is doing.
>
>Thanks for the pointer to the wxOcaml reloaded post too; I'd missed
>that. It looks like they're already thinking in terms of starting from
>the original C++ code and generating the C wrappers automatically.
>
>martin
>
>On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Eric Kow wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> First, do you know about the work on wxOcaml?
>> http://www.ocamlpro.com/blog/2013/04/02/wxocaml-reloaded.html
>>
>> Thought it would be good if wxHaskell, wxOcaml, and wxRust made a
>> deliberate point of working together on a single wxC project. (and
>> before anyone suggests autogenerating wxc from wxWidgets via Doxygen,
>> yes, that sounds awesome! but maybe we should still try to pool
>> resources first and then worry about getting wxc done the right way
>> instead of getting stuck salivating over an ideal)
>>
>> As for the proposal itself, sorry I don't really understand it, but
>> I'm not working on wxHaskell much so this is really a question for the
>> not-really-wxHaskell devs like me. Could you remind those of us how
>> things fit together? Do I have this right?
>>
>> * C++ wxWidgets
>> * wxc: Hand-rolled C++ to C wrapper code + header files
>> * wxdirect: utility that parses .h files written using wxc conventions
>> and generates generates Haskell FFI layer code to call the
>> corresponding (wx)C functions
>> * wxcore: autogenerated code via wxdirect (wxc/src/include/*.h =>
>> wxcore/something/.*hs) + some handwritten Haskell
>> * wx: less low-level Haskell code on top of wxcore
>>
>> If so, are you proposing to replace wxc/src/cpp/*.cpp with something
>> like json? That's what your example looks like. I'm a bit confused
>> because I thought it was the effort of parsing of the header files you
>> wanted to avoid duplicating? Would it be possible to autogenerate
>> both the .cpp and the header files from this data structure?
>>
>> Sorry to be dense, and thanks!
>> (I'm guessing your mail only showed up this late because it was caught
>> in the mailman spam filter?)
>>

>> On 9 October 2013 08:06, Martin DeMello wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm working on rust bindings to wx, based on the (wonderful!) wxc
>>> layer exposed by wxhaskell. When starting on the wxdirect equivalent,
>>> it struck me that it was wasteful for everyone to be parsing the .h
>>> files - instead, wxc could consist of both the header files and some
>>> sort of serialised data structure (e.g. json):
>>>
>>> C file:
>>>
>>> TClassDefExtend(wxTimerEx,wxTimer)
>>> void wxTimerEx_Connect( TSelf(wxTimerEx) _obj,
>>> TClass(wxTimerEx) wxTimerEx_Create( );

--
http://erickow.com