On 3 June 2011 12:44, <e.y....@brighton.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 12:14:58 +0100, Jeremy O'Donoghue wrote:
> >    - Bugfix for assert error in SearchDynamicEventTable which was found
> in
> >    debug builds. I believe that this is a proper fix for an issue Eric
> noted a
> >    couple of months back.
>
> It's not just debug builds (of what?),

Of wxWidgets itself. I don't see the assertion for retail builds. I *do* see
the assertion on debug builds for Windows, so I don't think it's a Mac
issue.

but basically the scenario where
> you naively type "cabal install wx" on MacOS after having installed the
> Haskell Platform and nothing else.   Macs ship with wxWidgets, albeit
> with this crucial bit of missing functionality.
>
> I'm a bit concerned that this may result in silently-does-the-wrong-thing
> errors
>
> +  if (evtHandler->GetDynamicEventTable() != NULL)
> +    found = evtHandler->SearchDynamicEventTable( event );
>
> As I'd discovered to my dismay, without this trawl through the non-existent
> dynamic event table, things like scrolled list boxes stop responding to
> events.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/wxhaskell-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00580.html

This is a bit more worrying - it's likely to be seen on other platforms as
well. I didn't see the problem on any of the (few) test cases I ran, but it
sounds more like a failure of what might laughably be called my test regime
than a Mac specific issue.

> If I understand the patch correctly, the result of this is that (A)
> users would be able to happily install wxHaskell on Mac without any
> prerequisites, but (B) if they were to use such a widget, it would just
> silently not-work.

No - I think it would silently not work everywhere :-(

> The even better solution would be for somebody to go understand how the
> event
> handling code works and propose a solution that works without the missing
> dynamic event table

That's probably a better bet. I have the impression that you're not really
supposed to call wxEvent::SearchDynamicEventTable() from outside anyway.
They seem to have gone to some lengths to not document it in wxWidgets.

I will have a go at understanding the event handling code. Wish me luck,
I'll probably need it...

Jeremy