On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Roy Hinkelman <royh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Paul: Thanks for the pointer to ZeroBrane. I looked at your IDE, and it
> looks really interesting.
>
> Can you help with some newbie questions?
>
> >> I am looking to build cross-platform Lua based apps
> >
> >I can't help with this particular issue as I use gcc rather than
> >clang, but I do build cross-platform lua apps using wxlua and support
> >Windows, OSX, and various flavors of Linux.
>
> But I am not familiar with gcc or clang, and what effect they have with
> building cross platform apps. Can I not compile to certain platforms with
> gcc or clang?

Cross-platform compiling for different OSes from a single OS is not for the
faint of heart as it is usually very complicated. I'm also pretty sure that
the Apple provided clang compiler will not cross-compile to MSW or Linux.
The easiest way is to simply get a machine for each OS, dual-boot them, or
use virtual machines.

Note that Apple used to provide GCC as their XCode compiler, but they
switched to clang recently and I have not used it.

> I don't really understand the process here. I am assuming I build my app
> and compile it to Win, OSX, IOS or Droid. Do I need to have a 'production'
> build for wxWidgets as part of the process?

You need to have wxLua, Lua, and wxWidgets binaries built for each platform
you want to run on as they are the code that's actually interacting with
the OS. The Lua script code for wxLua simply calls the compiled binary
wxWidgets functions that eventually call the system provided functions to
create windows, menus, etc. Same for the 'os' Lua module and its functions
os.clock() for example.

Note that android and ios are experiment in wxWidgets and there is no
provision for them in wxLua.

Regards,
    John