Hi,

On 03/04/2012 19:38, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to install WxPerl 0.9701 under Windows using ppm?

The latest versions of WxPerl (0.9901) installed from WxPerl repository
doesn't work well with ActivePerl 5.10 because the multiline text fields
appear as password text fields, and I need to use ActivePerl 5.10.

This difference is almost certainly nothing to do with the wxPerl version. It may be because of the wxWidgets version or build, I don't know. Are you sure that it is password text? I'm thinking that maybe there is a problem with multi-line text boxes + encoding handling so you would get something character set dependent - on my machine that shows as a lot of empty 'square' symbols.

I doubt that building Wx version 0.9701 will help. Could you let me know the following and I'll see if I can repeat the problem:

ActivePerl build number ( 1002 / 1007 etc)
Windows version (XP, Vista, etc)
64 or 32 bit Windows
64 or 32 bit ActivePerl (you could have 32 bit AP on 64 bit machine)

I will not be building any new ppms for Perl 5.10 ( or 5.8 for that matter ) as Perl 5.16 looms near and I think you may find it difficult to source community supported ppms for Perl 5.10 in particular.

The latest version of WxPerl from ActiveState's repository (0.9904)
doesn't work at all with ActivePerl 5.10 because it appears a fatal
error window without any helpful message.

I didn't think there were any regularly updated community available ActiveState repositories for Perl 5.10 ? Perhaps there are. I assume you don't have Perl 5.10.0 - it is 5.10.1 you have? Either way, the two are not compatible so be sure you are pointing at the right repository.

A recommendation for other Perl distribution is welcomed if they can be
used for creating Windows executables and COM components.

If you are interested in creating COM components, then I'm not aware of any comparable solution to the PDK from ActiveState so you should stick with that.

My advice, for what it is worth, is that you need to overcome whatever it is stopping you using Perl 5.14 as using Perl 5.10 will present greater and greater difficulties for you as time moves on.

Regards

Mark