Hi

On 08/04/2013 04:57, Wallace Winfrey wrote:
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Mark Dootson <mark.doot...@znix.com> wrote:

Google harder :-)

Are you referring to this thread?

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.wxperl.users/2012/02/msg8353.html

If so, I should have mentioned I had read it. I had also read this thread:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.wxperl.users/2012/08/msg8492.html

Sorry Wallace, I wasn't really suggesting you had not tried hard enough. Google is always pot-luck. One point this is discussed is

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.wxperl.users/2012/12/msg8630.html

but that comes nowhere near the top of any reasonable search you might do.

Just so we're clear though, wxPerl at this point more or less needs a
custom build of wxWidgets 2.9.4, is that correct? Out of curiosity,
and I'm sure you've discussed this before, but - in your opinion, are
the deficiencies currently present in wxWidgets likely to remain in
the future?

It's a wxWidgets bug in 2.9.4 - already fixed in wxWidgets trunk, and it is that patch / code that Alien::wxWidgets uses.

If so, and maybe this is such an edge case that it's not worth the
effort, but would it be useful to alert the user to this condition
when they're building Alien::wxWidgets? Is it possible to test an
existing wxWidgets installation for the conditions that prevent a
successful Wx build (or make test, as the case may be) ?

I know that with my previous note you would not have asked this question but it is worth answering anyway. For this problem, it isn't possible to test without linking and running something against the wxWidgets library so that may as well be wxPerl.

Whether I should have put in a 'possible problem warning'? - probably but I'm fairly sure readers would never read it until the Wx build tests failed anyway and only then in a few cases. My excuse is that when 2.9.5 is released this problem goes away.

Best Regards

Mark