It seems the perl itself is broken and the core perl dynaloader fails to
work, if the perl was started with long names. For example, running slic3r
with the following slic3r.bat fails:

"%~dp0\perl5.24.0.exe" "%~dp0\slic3r.pl" %*

It works though, if one replaces the magic %~dp0 with %~dps0:

"%~dps0\perl5.24.0.exe" "%~dps0\slic3r.pl" %*

That way both the paths of the perl.exe and slic3r.pl use the 8.3
characters only per directory entry.

For the reference, this is the original github issue:

https://github.com/prusa3d/Slic3r/issues/133

I think this may be interesting to some, but it seems not to be a wxPerl
issue per se, so I think I will stop rumbling about it here :-)