On Sunday January 05 2020 05:11:02 Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

>One could always run one's preferred Linux distro under VirtualBox on macOS,
>to have assured access to one's desired apps. That wouldn't help much for
>really hardware-intensive graphics of course (a VM likely having at best
>limited access to hardware acceleration), but for most others, should work,
>even if not particularly conveniently.

I meant to add to a previous message that one can find PCs that will run a
recent Linux distro plenty fast enough for a fraction of the price of a Mac.
Even if the X11 server goes the way of the dodo, libX11, libxcb etc. will
(hopefully) see continued development as long as there is demand for running
X11 apps (and those can display via a Wayland compositor). Even those
client-side layers have limitations on Mac that could be improved, making it
possible to do the heavy-lifting on a Mac and the displaying on a remote X11
terminal just like that was the norm at some point. (I'm assuming here that
on-GPU computing doesn't go through X11 APIs.)

R.