Hi all,

Has anybody succeeded  on connecting on a system that has a recent
version of gnome (3.8 or 3.10)?

I tried it in Ubuntu 13.10 and in Fedora 19 and Fedora 20 prerealese.
For Ubuntu 13.10 I've used the x2go* packages found in launchpad and for
Fedora 19 and 20 the official packages.

In Ubuntu there is a gnome-fallback.session file that is link to
gnome-flashback.session and there is a gnome-fallback-compiz.session
that is link to gnome-flashback-compiz.session

The first one uses metacity and should work with x2go and the latter
uses compiz, so it probably needs 3d support. If I try to do:

gnome-session --session gnome-fallback
or
gnome-session --session gnome-flashback

I get a black screen and in the ~/.xsession-x2go-errors I see lines like
this:

Script for cjkv started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
Script for cjkv started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
gnome-session-is-accelerated: No composite extension.
gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256
gnome-session-is-accelerated: No composite extension.
gnome-session-check-accelerated: Helper exited with code 256

There are complains that the fallback desktop in 13.10 requires 3d
acceleration:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/361617/does-gnome-fallback-desktop-require-accelerated-graphics-in-13-10

The required componets for "GNOME Flashback (No effects)" are these:

RequiredComponents=gnome-panel;gnome-settings-daemon;gnome-screensaver;metacity;

If I create a script in /usr/local/bin:

user@ubuntu-desktop:/usr/local/bin$ cat startmyubuntu
#!/bin/bash

gnome-panel&
gnome-settings-daemon&
gnome-screensaver&
metacity

And try to run it in the x2go command I manage to pop-up a crippled
desktop but I don't think this is the way to go.

In Fedora things are even worse. The available gnome sessions are gnome
and gnome-classic and both seem to depend on mutter. This command ends
up in black screen:

gnome-session --session gnome-classic

The required components for gnome classic are:

RequiredComponents=gnome-shell-classic;gnome-settings-daemon;nautilus-classic;

I have manually installed metacity and tried to execute a script that
loaded the required components

[root@localhost bin]# cat startmyubuntu
#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/gnome-shell --mode=classic &
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon-localeexec &
nautilus --no-default-window --force-desktop &
metacity &

wait

But the desktop is even more crippled.

Is GNOME still supported by x2go or should we consider it abandoned like
we did with Unity when Unity2d was dropped?

Nikos