Yeah that's an old pice of... hardware..

You'd probably want >1GB of RAM for a reasonable thin...
The good news is that you can probably get some old laptop RAM on
ebay... Not sure how much this old thing can handle but a 512mb or 1Gb
should be ok (don't blame me if you buy something and it does not work).

If I remember correctly the Via C7 processor should have some basic
crypto acceleration and SSE2&SSE3  so with a bit extra RAM this thing
may do ok.

I  guess Firefox uses more "drawing instructions" (which are rendered on
client side) while chrome just draws everything as a "picture" on the
server side, which X2Go then has to compress and decompress.

Being that this is really old, I'd hope your not using it in a business
environment (end of life in 2009?!).

You may want to play with the connection/compression settings..
Try lower colour depth  and see if swapping between WAN and LAN setting
makes any difference.... I've seen some older HW do better with 2M-jpeg
or 256k-jpeg even... and WAN connection setting.