But how about this: I could implement some keystroke that dumps the
current clipboard state and re-initializes the clipboard. Using those
dumps might help finding the reason for this odd behaviour.
That would be fine.  Please advise on next steps.

Two more things:
- One workaround that usually works is to copy some text to the
clipboard on both sides of the connection. Most of the time it will
become usable again.
Thanks, I will try that next time it happens.
- you could also try to replace the X server of X2go (VcXsrv) by the
one from mobaxterm and see if the problems persists. We had reports
that indicated vcxsrv might be the real problem.
I would consider that as a last resort. Let's see if your first two ideas pan out before taking this step.

Uli