I can answer about the GUI toolkit. I was debugging MATLAB performance issues
last week so I looked into this.

Matlab uses the jobamp/jogl framework. https://jogamp.org/jogl/www/

In my Ubuntu/x2go/MATE setup, it falls back on a "software OpenGL" mode, which
actually looks like MESA/Gallium software rendering:

In Matlab:
>> opengl info
                          Version: '2.1 Mesa 17.1.3'
                           Vendor: 'Brian Paul'
                         Renderer: 'Mesa X11'
                   MaxTextureSize: 16384
                           Visual: 'Visual 0x61, (RGBA 32 bits (8 8 8 8), Z
depth 16 bits, Hardware acceleration, Double buffer, Antialias 0 samples)'
                         Software: 'true'
             HardwareSupportLevel: 'none (known graphics driver issues)'
        SupportsGraphicsSmoothing: 0
    SupportsDepthPeelTransparency: 1
       SupportsAlignVertexCenters: 0
                       Extensions: {152×1 cell}
               MaxFrameBufferSize: 16384

johannes@compute-2:/usr/local/MATLAB/R2019a/sys/opengl/lib/glnxa64$ ls -1
C11ThreadEmulationLibraryLicense.rights
EXTHeaderLicense.rights
GalliumCodeLicense.rights
GLXClientCodeLicense.rights
libGL.so.1
libGL.so.1.6.0
libGLU.rights
libGLU.so.1
libGLU.so.1.3.1
MesaDeviceDriversLicense.rights
MesaLicense.rights

—
Johannes Töger

Associate Senior Lecturer
Cardiac MR Group
Department of Clinical Sciences Lund, Clinical Physiology
Lund University, Sweden