On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 7:22 PM Jonah Benton <jo...@jonah.com> wrote:

> Thank you- concur about images- in the past, copy-paste of them only worked
> within a session, not across. My workaround was to paste-save to /tmp on the
> host and then open saved image from another session. But nearly all
> copy-paste for me is text / URLs.

Ah, ok. But that's not really comfortable or seamless...

> Re versions of nxagent:

So you did an update from 3.5.99.24 to 3.5.99.26. There were minimal
changes in the range (only 5 commits):
eb7b9773 nxagent: make nxagentXFixesInfo.Initialized a Boolean
fec462906 nxagent: treat all Traps as Booleans everywhere
b07b6c537 Clipboard.c: fix bug in special optimization for nested settings
ebee6af05 Clipboard.c: add missing ifdefs
edb5a918a Clipboard.c: fix missing )
ae037701f nxagent: fix stack smashing

> I can try to downgrade if there is an earlier 3.5.99 on Fedora 33- will that
> matter?

Probably not, but why not try it?

> Happy to give a go at a replacement build.

Ok, here's the branch you should compile:
https://github.com/uli42/nx-libs/tree/pr/many_clipboard_fixes

Generally you need to do this:
1. git clone https://github.com/uli42/nx-libs/tree/pr/many_clipboard_fixes
2. cd nx-libs
3. mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/{SOURCES,RPMS,SRPMS,OTHER,BUILD}
4. git archive -o ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/nx-libs-3.5.99.26.tar.gz
--prefix=nx-libs-3.5.99.26/ 3.6.x
5. cp --preserve=time nx-libs.spec ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES
6. rpmbuild -ba ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/nx-libs.spec
7. install the resulting nxagent rpm

I do not have a fedora at hand so I could not test this. In case of
problems you can also try the spec file from the fedora build.

> I did just note two additional behaviors-
>
> 1. cross-session paste does *eventually* complete
>
> -copy of text 1 in session 1
> -attempt to paste in session 2
> -observe session 2 window freeze
> -switch to host window
> -paste into host window (success)
> -select and recopy in host window
> -switch back to session 2- paste of text 1 had completed
>
> So the paste took about 5 seconds

My branch adds some caching of clipboard communication which speeds up
operations like this considerably.

> 2. cross-session paste payload can be replaced in flight
>
> -copy of text 1 in session 1
> -switch to session 2
> -attempt to paste (text 1 into session 2)
> -observe session 2 window freeze
> -switch to another window in session 2
> -select and copy text 2 (in another window in session 2)
> -switch to the session 2 window attempting to complete the original paste
> -note that the paste completed- but using text 2, not text 1

That's one of the big changes in my branch. Previously the code was
sharing some variables for all clipboards and the behaviour you are
describing here is just the result of that.

Uli