Thank you for the excellent advice. I switched the virtual machine
acting as my tftp server to Debian 11 and pxe boot started. I didn't
event need to chainload ipxe with undionly.kpxe. Basically using Ubuntu
for my tftp server was the problem.
Something of note, though. It was necessary create a new directory
/srv/tftp/pxelinux.cfg and copy /srv/tftp/default.cfg into it. I
discovered this by consulting professor Google. I did not read this in
the classic X2go-tce documentation. Perhaps this might be explictly
added to this documention to help nubes like myself?
I am having more problems, though. The first, red X2go splash screen
comes up but I am unable to make any selections, not with the
highlighted hotkeys nor with the arrow keys or even TAB. Not a real
problem, after timeout it defaults to x2go-tce which is what I want
anyway. I just mention it in case it is a symptom of the other problems
I'm about to describe. The boot soon fails with the following messages:
[  16.996870] Initramfs unpacking failed : write error[  17.488013]
mce: Unable to init MCE device (rc: -5)[ 19.959922] Failed to execute
/init (error -2)[ 19.190964] Kernel panic - not syncing: No working
init found. Try passing init =option to Kernel. See Linux
Documentation/admin-guide/initrst for guidance.[ 19.961064] CPU: 0 PID
: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 5.10.0-10-686 #1 Debian 5.10.84-1[
19.961135] Hardware name: /TK-3550, BIOS 6.00 PG 02/27/2009[ 19.961198]
Call Trace:[ 19.961283]  dump_stack+0x54/0x68[ 19.961355]  ?
rest_init+0x30/0x97[ 19.961429]  panic+0xa3/0x25b[ 19.961495]  ?
rest_init+0xe0/0xe9[ 19.961630]  ret_from_fork+0x1c/0x28[ 19.961705]
Kernel Offset: disabled[ 19.961775] ---[ end Kernel panic - not
syncing: No working init found. Try passing init =option to Kernel. See
Linux Documentation/admin-guide/initrst for guidance. ]---
Then the whole thing hangs up indefinitely. It seems to me that the old
thin client (TK-3550 AMD GX III LX800 CPU, 256 MB ram) needs a legacy
BIOS boot and this is unavailable for some reason. Should I redo my
X2go-tce setup (x2gothinclient_settings) and use an older version of
Debian to create the chroot image? I used the default "Buster". If I
need to go back enough versions of Debian will I need to change to
archived repositories in the same file (rather than just
http://ftp.debian.ors/debian <distr-codename> main)? Do I need to add
to the APPEND line of x2go-tce.cfg instead with init=/sbin/.... or some
such (professor Google again)? Once again any help here would be
appreciated. I recognise that the thin client I am using is rubbish but
the price was right and having come so far I'm reluctant to give up
now.