David,

Please realize that the ham radio packages for ubuntu, debian, fedora,
opensuse and other distributions are currently maintained by
volunteers and systems of semi automated version tracking, bug
reporting, and sponsorship systems. Understanding these systems makes
the packaging go smoother. The relationships with packages and
sponsors requires some attention and respect. If one of the packagers
retires, then maintaining the package can stop tracking outside
development. Eventually some library dependency is broken and unless
the package is deemed important enough, it gets dropped.

Also please realize that Ondřej is in part messenger in this process
informing us that we have triggered one of these conditions.

Looking at the debian package tracking system for xastir
<http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xastir.html>, it appears the ubuntu
package is derived from the debian package of the same version number.
 It also appears that there is a 2.0.1 waiting on mentor.  I am not
sure where that comes from given that xastir has not released 2.0.1
yet.  (If I was a sponsor, I would not sponsor it.) Meanwhile the most
recent uploader, Joop has stood down and someone else needs to step
up.

Looking at this then, one approach might be to move the debian
packaging along.  Someone needs to package xastir 2.0.0  for debian,
getting it sponsored, and waiting the required amount of time to get
it into testing.  Then ubuntu can pull it in from there. Some of this
can be hurried along with appropriate bug reports at appropriate times
and the right friends in the ubuntu/debian community who are willing
to address them.

My thanks and good wishes to Joop for his efforts with xastir.

Charles
AA1VS