On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, mgmad...@internode.on.net wrote:

I'm running 64 bit systems now although the problem is on myexisting
x86,as well. I am using usb2serial cables to read the data from my tnc @
gps,though I don't need this setup on the x86 as it has com ports.but
myproblem is in the activation of the ports from xastir.
If I use minicom i can read the data from both units,but xastir refuses to
activate the ports. This happens whether I'm using the cables or direct
connect to the comports.
At present the systems I use are gentoo based,kernel 3.10.0 gcc-4.7.3,
glibc-2.17, can anyone shine light on this and show me a way to get xastir
running.

Seems this should have been in the FAQ or the README.Getting-Started file long
ago.

There are a few ways to solve this.  Basically it comes down to the user/group
that you're running Xastir as not having sufficient permissions to open/write
to the port.

The most proper way to solve this is to look at your port devices, find out the
group ownership, add your user to that group, log out/in again (you don't have
to reboot) and you should have access to the ports after that.  You may also
have to tweak permissions on the ports if they aren't readable/writable by the
group.

If that doesn't work, there's the old standby of:

    sudo chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir

Which will give Xastir SUID Root privileges which on most systems will allow it
to override the permissions/ownership/group on the ports.  Note that this is a
potential security risk on a multi-user system.  If you're the only one using
it, it's not much of a risk.  Xastir is smart enough to only user root
privileges when it needs them, then it drops down to normal user privileges the
rest of the time.

We should take this and whatever other hints are provided in this thread and
add them to the FAQ, then the next time will be easier:  RTFM!

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
Closed-minded about open (-source)...