Thanks, Curt, for forwarding my xas...@xastir.org message to xastir-dev,
which I hardly even think about much, since most of the traffic is on the
user group, not the dev group.

Now that Curt has been very busy updating all the README files to translate
CVS commands and repo URLs to their roughly corresponding git counterparts,
I thought I'd take a moment to point out that our transition to github has
made the process of contributing to the Xastir development a bit simpler than
it used to be, should you choose to take advantage of it.

Git is very different from CVS, because of its distributed model, and it makes
possible a better workflow for managing contributions.  Consider this
old-school way for you to add or fix Xastir code under CVS:

  0) Notice an issue you'd like to work on
  1) Check out the current code from CVS
  2) Do code changes
  3) Run a CVS diff command, and forward the resulting patch to one of the
     folks who have commit access (almost always Curt).
  4) Wait for that person to review the code, then commit it.
  5) Repeat.

A better approach, using github's "pull request" capability, is now:
  0) Notice an issue
  1) Fork the Xastir repo on github, creating your own copy to which you
     automatically have all admin rights.
  1a) Clone your forked copy
  2) Create a feature branch in your repo, and make code changes on that branch
  3) Push your new feature branch with your code changes to github.
  4) Issue a "pull request" to the Xastir project.

This enables some Xastir developer with push access to the project to grab
all of your changes, review them, test them, provide feedback, and ultimately
copy your changes (via a git merge operation) into the main branch of the code
for everyone to enjoy.

One of the benefits of doing it this way is that you actually show up in the
project history as the author of the changes, without one of the developers
having to give you credit by mentioning your name in the commit log, or
adding comments to the code to that effect.

Please see https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/ for
details on the process.  If you think this is something you're likely to do,
then you should definitely read some of the references at the bottom of
README.GIT to help the process go smoothly.  These include things like the
complete "Pro Git" book, guidelines for writing good commit messages, and
managing your git repo so that the project history looks nice and clean to
people who are browsing it (via git log, gitk, or other repo browsers).

Share and Enjoy.

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 11:18:59AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <curt.w...@gmail.com> flavor, containing: