+1, but I've also used 4 char spaces

John

EI7IG

On 5/1/19 6:16 PM, J. Lance Cotton wrote:
1) 2 character, space
2) Line up braces vertically
3) Include braces when optional

-Lance KJ5O

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 10:33 AM Curt Mills <curt.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

We've been talking in another thread about changing the project coding
standards, specifically the number of columns to indent and the bracing
standard.

Our two relevant Wiki pages are:
http://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Contributing
and
http://xastir.org/index.php/HowTo:Developer_Guidelines_and_Notes

1) Indents: I originally proposed that we go from 4-column indents to
2-character indents (Spaces-only, no tab characters unless required for a
specific tool). I'm going to back-peddle after reading a bunch of stuff on
the 'net: People say 4-char indent for C and C++ makes it more readable.

***** Please vote on number of chars per indent. *****

2) Bracing alignment: I prefer lining up the braces vertically which I find
shows the structure of the code much better.

We currently use:

     if (true) {
         do something;
     else {
         do something else;
     }

I'm proposing:

     if (true)
     {
         do something;
     }
     else
     {
         do something else;
     }

***** Please vote whether to line up the braces. *****

3) Optional bracing: I prefer to include braces when they're optional to
improve readability. An example case: An "if" statement with one statement
in the "true" block can be written as:

     if (true)
         do something;

-or-

     if (true)
     {
       do something;
     }

I prefer the latter. It's not always immediately obvious what you're doing
without the braces, particularly when there isn't an "else" clause and/or
indenting gets messed up.

***** Please vote whether to include braces when optional. *****

4) One new thing we need (At least with newer compilers) is a comment where
a case statement drops through to the next case statement. This example is
from db.c:

             case 'O':
                 symbol.aprs_type = '\\';
                 /* Falls through. */

             case 'B':

Without that "Falls through" comment we get a compiler warning, so please
add that from now on. This item does not require a vote. I already fixed
the sources where we needed it.

We could specify a whole bunch of other stuff but the rest isn't all that
important.

My votes:
1) 4-char spaces-only

--