Steve,

I also have this model:
https://www.amazon.nl/DollaTek-LoRa32-SD-kaart-draadloze-module/dp/B07RXSKPBX/

The disadvantage is that it lacks the 8 Mbit PSRAM chip (which is on the T-beam) so the ESP32 is a bit short on memory for embedded python. (less then 1 MByte of RAM available).

Software development-wize, perhaps it makes more sense to turn the radio-device into just a dumb 'packet-modem', connect it to a single-board computer (say, a raspberry pi) and do all development overthere. That way you can run higher-level code, easily interface with the internet, connect other devices (e.g. a VHF/UHF packet mode), etc.

Last week, I found this python module for processing aprs message (*) which I think would be a good basis to do some experimental development for aprs-code.

I do like the sx1276 chip. It has a couple of nice features.

- as it also has a FSK modem, It might also be able to transmit POCSAG (paging) messages. If this works, we should be able to build a APRS-to-POCSAG gateway with just one piece of hardware: send a aprs text-message to a certain APRS node and it transmit that message as a POCSAG paging message.

I once wrote some code to create pocsag-message. (**)

- The automatic header-detection in lora is nice,
This means that if you send a packet with (say) a coding-rate of 4/8 to a lora-node configured with 4/5, the chip will still receive and decode it.

So, if you know that you are in area with bad APRS-over-lora coverage, you can switch to a coding-rate that provides better error-correction (like 4/8). Your packets will become larger (by 37.5 % in this case) but your packet might still arrive, which it might not have done with a coding-rate of 4/5.

Note that that bandwidth and Spread-Factor do need to match. If not, your packet will not be demodulated/decoded.

- Another nice thing is that, although the chip does have CRC-generation and CRC validation in silicon, it will still pass packets to the receiver, even if they fail the CRC check. It will flag it as 'CRC error', but the code on application-level will still be able to retrieve it. Most other radio-chips I have looked at so far do have do not do this and will silently drop that message.

This would allow for a nice lora "DX-ing" mode by implementing additional error-correction code on application-level.

Ah yes, there is also a GNU Radio implementation of the Lora PHY. (***)
I haven't tried it yet, so I do not know if it works but It would be interesting to experiment with this, e.g. tweaking the parameters even further to do even further DX.

I am not on Facebook.

I prefer mailing-lists for in-depth discussions. To get real-time help, ...  I am on matrix / element.io which is an open-source and decentralized IM/voice/video service. There are quite some open-source groups reachable via matrix, either directly on matrix itself or via bridges to IRC or some other IM protocol.

It's used the GNU Radio community.

(*) https://github.com/ampledata/aprs
(**) https://github.com/on1arf/pocsag
(***) https://www.epfl.ch/labs/tcl/resources-and-sw/lora-phy/