This is the "Reply-Ack" feature.

It's not part of the 1.0 APRS spec, it's in one of Bob Bruninga's "addenda"

http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/replyacks.txt

The short story is that it improves messaging, because the reply to a message
contains an "ack" of that message.  This is just in case the real "ack" got
lost.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 11:56:22PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <krist...@skypro.be> flavor, containing:
> Hi all,
>

> I am working on a project to extend the firmware of the TTGO
> (aprs-over-LoRa) iGate software.
> https://github.com/on1arf/LoRa_APRS_iGate
>

> I am currently doing some additional work on the APRS-IS to RF gateway,
> specially for APRS "Message" packets.
>

> I am using xastir on my linux laptop to test out my code.
> (my igate has ON1ARF-12, my linux laptop/xastir has ON1ARF-14)
>

> A test message I received is this:
>
> ON1ARF-14>APX215,TCPIP*,qAC,NINTH::ON1ARF-12:test 1.2.3.{3y}12
>

> Can somebody help interpret this message?
>
> Looking at the "APRS 101" document (which I guess can be considered to be
> the more-or-less official specification for APRS), this seems to be a normal
> "Message" APRS-message, with message identifier (which should be
> acknowledged by a reverse "ack" message).
>
> But as I had just previously received a "ack12" in a previous message from
> the xastir station, it looks like that the "{12" is in fact a repetition of
> that.
>

> So, can I interpret this message as a combination of two messages: "test
> 1.2.3.{3y" and "ack12"
>
> I do not find anything in the "APRS101" document (version 1.0.1 d.d. 29 Aug
> 2000) that describes this kind of "two-in-one" messages.
>
> So, I am a bit confused why xastir sends this kind of messages packets.
>

> Can somebody shed some light on this?
>

> 73
> kristoff - ON1ARF

Tom Russo    KM5VY