On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Norman Heyen <[email protected]> wrote:
> When I look at the raw packets in APRS.FI (or any other site) all I ever see > are the twice per hour beacons. When I look in the station info page, there > isn't a section for "Stations which heard KC9NVN directly on radio". Even > though I am acting as a fill-in in a fairly low traffic area, I would think > that at some point I would transmit something to someone. You probably do send packets out onto the RF network, however you are connected directly to the APRS-IS stream 2010-05-27 13:10:10 MDT: KC9NVN>APX199,TCPIP*,qAC,T2MIDWEST:=4217.27N108940.67W#XASTIR-Linux-Freeport,IL 2010-05-27 13:40:11 MDT: KC9NVN>APX199,TCPIP*,qAC,T2MIDWEST:=4217.27N108940.67W#XASTIR-Linux-Freeport,IL See the TCPIP in the strings? That says that you are injecting your packets directly into the APRS-IS stream. The APRS-IS network filters out any copies heard after the initial packet is heard. You will NEVER see multiple copies of a packet UNLESS something is screwed up. Copies do end up being seen when i-gates screw up the packets by doing erroneous character translations, a packet gets corrupted on the air, or a Kantronics TNC running in KISS mode gets backed up and delays the packet for more than 30 seconds before injecting it into the APRS-IS. > There are a reasonable number of stations in the "Stations heard directly by > KC9NVN", that makes sense. It seems I can hear OK. I agree that I'm hearing > a fair number of packets and sending them to the APRS-IS (Igate?) OK, but > shouldn't I transmit at least every once in a while? According to what we can see, you are transmitting packets once every 30 minutes. > Sorry if this is an obvious question but I just don't understand. Duplicate removal... look at everyone else... only one copy of every packet sent, but if you listen to the RF network, you'll hear multiple copies of the packet, one for each digipeater you can hear, and possibly the original packet heard directly from the originating station. It's this "clean-up" process that can lead people to believe that they need LONG paths because their packet was ONLY heard by digipeater XXXX located 50 miles away, or some other such excuse. When looking at the APRS-IS stream of information you must always remember that you are looking at a heavily filtered output stream, and you can not base any judgements on the total health of the APRS-RF network on just the information see on the APRS-IS stream. James VE6SRV _______________________________________________ Xastir mailing list [email protected] http://lists.xastir.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xastir
