Hi James......tnx for the thoughts.....as im on my way to Auckland N.Z tomorrow morning for my Fathers funeral it will be a project for when i return early next week

wont be hard to do have a hand held Garmin etrex H which i think will be a help

the roads are on the local maps which are of course commercial but i do have those set up for xastir and was what i have been using....

the new OSM maps look great on Ubuntu 10.4 and nVidia gforce 4 mx440 8x video card....the monitor is a Samtron 76e CRT...would love to afford a good LCD screen

73 David VK4BDJ