On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Curt, WE7U wrote:

   On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Michael Lewis wrote:

Would I be missing any other files because the towns don't show up when I zoom in closer? Or would that be a setting in Xastir it's self?

  Could be either.

  I don't have Tiger2009 installed here, but have Tiger2008.  I just
  selected each file in a county directory one-by-one and didn't see
  city names show up either, but did see the yellow filled areas
  representing those towns.

When I was messing with TL 2008 offline maps, I had to diddle with the dbfawk files to get the towns and county names to appear the way I wanted. But, it has been too long since I've played with them to remember which shapefile/dbfawk pairs I had messed with. One place (on the internet - maybe on the TL site?) had the full meaning of the shapefile names, and what the basic data was in each. That gave me the clue for which dbfawk files I needed to edit.

It took a good bit of trial-n-error to get the right combination. I played with zoom level values and color values. I also had to fiddle with the layer level priority file (can't recall the name for it either) to get the town yellow fill-in to drop below the town street level detail so I could see the streets again.

Sorry for not remembering the detail of filenames, etc. I am living proof of "If you don't use it, you lose it" adage. Too busy this past year and a half with Windoze stuff to keep myself Linux/Xastir active/current. It *just works* on my TC1100 laptop as a fixed station (KG5LT) with almost NO assistance from me. Even through power outages! Can't say that for a Windoze machine...

I might add one word of advice: before editing any dbfawk file, make a backup *first*. I learned that the hard way, groan.

I'll be glad when I finish my current Windoze project so I can experience the OSM excitement. That sounds really neat. A big thanks to Jerry et. al. for their hard work getting that going.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT