I removed Xastir completely. Both by telling my package manager to removeit,
and then by manually going to all of the directory locations ~/... and user
share…. and manually deleting all of the files. I them re-installed it by
having the package manager re-install.
I then went to the web and looked up every version of a .map file I could find,
and installed them in the user/share/xaster/map directory.

 I havelots of vector line drawigs, but no raster maps.
They are sucky for quality, but at least they work. I have no Raster maps. I
would love to get some and I have looked at some on line, but I am having
troubole getting the descriptor files to go with them the ones with the upper
left/north west and lower right/ south east longetude and lattitude data as
well as the pixel count.

So for now It works but it sucks. I have not given up. eventually I will get it
to work right in spite of the lack of support fom the community rather than
because of it.

  Thanks for asking.

73
KB3IYQ