On 20/04/16 07:00, xastir-requ...@lists.xastir.org wrote:

Today's Topics:

    1. Re: Raspberry PI B, Rasbian Jessie, and Xastir = 100% cpu
       (davidf4)

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:09:14 -0700
From: "davidf4" <davi...@mindspring.com>
To: "'Xastir - APRS client software discussion'"
        <xastir@lists.xastir.org>, <n7...@wetnet.net>
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Raspberry PI B, Rasbian Jessie, and Xastir =
        100% cpu

Back to basics: have you checked ground-level configuration? Menu > Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration, Performance tab: Overclock. I have mine set at High (950 MHz), and I suspect most units will be stable at that. This allows xastir to fully render the screen and drop back to around 20% CPU usage in a reasonable time.

I find zoom level 256-512 (OR the menu's selection of 1024) more than adequate for local coverage - 8192 encompasses the whole of NZ, and across the Tasman to Aussie. That takes around 20 seconds to render (mapnik in Map Chooser), so patience is the requisite virtue :) . I have my locality as a Bookmark at zoom 400, which shows all of the local APRS repeater's coverage, and a bit more. My (small) town shows well at zoom 40.

I run this 24/7 online (no RF), and concurrently use amule for a file-share "collector" of rarities, at around 60-80% usage.

Hopefully helpfully ...
73, Dex ZL2DEX