Hessu, author of aprs.fi, did some symbol work and has released his symbols for general use. He's using SVG as a vector source which can then be rendered for use in older bitmap-based clients like xastir and APRSISCE/32. If you're doing new symbols, it would seem to make sense to do them in a vector format that extends to the future and render them for use in xastir.

Just my $0.02 for whatever it is worth to you.

http://blog.aprs.fi/2015/11/new-symbol-graphics-and-better-support.html

https://github.com/hessu/aprs-symbols