On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 09:11:54PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron 
collision of the <j...@laferla.ca> flavor, containing:
> Sorry Tom, I can see your confusion.  What I did last time was to run Lee???s 
> script for Raspberry pi.   After that, all I did some time ago was to run 
> ./update-xastir in ~./src/Xastir.  Looking at the update-xastir script, it 
> seems that???s what I should do.  Is that correct?  And if I run 
> update-xastir periodically, I should be keeping it up to date, without the 
> need to do separate compile/make.

All "update-xastir" does is
   git pull
   ./bootstrap.sh
   mkdir build
   cd build
   ../configure
   make
   sudo make install

with a few flourishes like saving the results of the entire process to a log
file.  It does a few unnecessary things like chmods on the installed file,
which should be already taken care of unless you've got a strange umask set.

So *it's* doing the "separate compile/make" for you.  I suppose there's a 
convenience to the script, but personally I prefer to do the steps myself.

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
> 
> From: Tom Russo
> Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:15 PM
> To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] New Xastir build
> 
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 05:50:02PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron 
> collision of the <j...@laferla.ca> flavor, containing:
> > I was just wondering whether I should install the new Xastir alongside the 
> > current version (in new directories of course) or simply run the Lee???s 
> > script in the current directories.  I have never had to do this before, so 
> > would appreciate some help.  Or should I uninstall the current version, 
> > which is installed from source.
> 
> When you say you have already installed Xastir from source, was it source from
> Git, or the old 2.0.8 tarball from Sourceforge?
> 
> There is NO difference between the 2.1.0 tarball code and the git master
> branch except a version number.  If you're already building from git master, 
> don't bother installing 2.1.0.  You can just "git pull" in your source clone 
> directory again and rebuild/reinstall in the same build directory you used 
> last time.  That's what using the live git version is all about --- you don't 
> bother to wait for releases (which these days come very rarely, although I 
> hope to fix that), and you get the incremental fixes as they happen.
> 
> If you're using 2.0.8 tarballs, just pull down the 2.1.0 tarball from
> Github and do what you did to build  and install 2.0.8 --- it'll overwrite 
> the 
> old one.
> 
> I can't really see any reason to install the new one in a separate place, or
> to remove the old one first.  The only reason I can see to uninstall the old
> version is if it's really old (like 2.0.6 or 2.0.4) and you want to get rid
> of the old, broken .geos for servers that went away and which those old 
> versions installed.  
> 
> The only reason I can see to uninstall Xastir before upgrading is if the
> old install is from a package management system --- in that case, the new
> source-built would be installing to /usr/local, and the old was installed in
> /usr.  And then there are issues with fixing up your xastir.cnf and other 
> config files.  But that's not what you said you did, so that's not an issue.
> 
> I don't even see much benefit to re-running helper scripts to do the new 
> build,
> either.  Most of those are great ways to get the first build done, because 
> they
> take care of installing all the dependent libraries for you.  But if you've
> already got a build, you've already got those libraries, and the rest of it 
> is 
> just "configure" and "make" and "sudo make install." 
> 
> -- 
> Tom Russo    KM5VY
> Tijeras, NM  
> 
>  echo "prpv_a'rfg_cnf_har_cvcr" | sed -e 's/_/ /g' | tr [a-m][n-z] [n-z][a-m]
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Xastir mailing list
> Xastir@lists.xastir.org
> http://xastir.org/mailman/listinfo/xastir
> 

-- 
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM  

 echo "prpv_a'rfg_cnf_har_cvcr" | sed -e 's/_/ /g' | tr [a-m][n-z] [n-z][a-m]

_______________________________________________
Xastir mailing list
Xastir@lists.xastir.org
http://xastir.org/mailman/listinfo/xastir

Reply via email to