On Feb 20, 2018 12:52 PM, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pretty sure systemd would have the same problem as cron - the
application needs to be a child of the window manager so that the X
security is satisfied.

Agree

And Curt, if systemd scripts are easier than rc scripts then one of us
is looking at the wrong documentation.  :)

I had problems getting systemd scripts to work in Raspbian Jessie. Then I
tried Arch Linux on the Pi, and systemd worked great.  I did actually find
them easier than rc scripts, and it helped that Arch had its own systemd
documentation that was pretty good. I suspect Arch had an advantage of not
carrying the baggage of rc scripts prior to transitioning to systemd. Maybe
Stretch is better - haven't tried it on the Pi yet.

So back to the original question.  I read this:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=139224

and sure enough I have a file  .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

and it has some stuff in it:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
@lxpanel --profile LXDE-pi
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE-pi
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@point-rpi

So i use my favorite editor to add this line to the end of that file:

@/usr/local/bin/xastir

and now xastir starts on boot.

-Jason
kg4wsv

Sounds definitive to me. Now I'm really curious if putting that same line
in this file will also work.

etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/startup

That file did work for me to start applications after LXDE started, but it
definitely wasn't in Raspbian Stretch at that time - was Wheezy if I
remember right.

Lee - K5DAT