Maybe someone more familiar with CSL could shed more light on this, but
based on the actual behaviour of most CSL styles I always took it that
"paper-conference" (Zotero: "Conference Paper") is to be used for formally
published papers only, analogous to biblatex's "inproceedings".

The type that usually works well for papers without a formal publisher is
CSL "speech" (Zotero: "Presentation). Your "conference papers online for
whom I don't know the publisher, but I do have an event title and place"
would fall into this category.

As to "My bibtex habit was always to sentence case titles but title case
everything else. Is this different for CSL?":

The rule (required for titles in English only, btw) is simple: sentence
case for CSL, title case for bibtex and biblatex.