Matthew,

I don't know what motivated you or your organization to choose MODS; the
main problem I see is that MODS is nowhere as standardized as biblatex,
bibtex (which I would consider to be too limited for serious use though),
or CSL; so if I were you I'd probably try to use one of these formats for
my database instead.

Still, if you must use MODS, some background on citeproc-hs and
pandoc-citeproc:

citeproc-hs and pandoc-citeproc incorporate bibutils to first convert all
bibliography database input formats bibutils recognizes to MODS (with the
exception of CSL JSON and MODS itself for citeproc-hs, and CSL JSON, CSL
YAML, bibtex, biblatex, and MODS for pandoc-citeproc).

Thus, as Andrea Rossato, the citeproc-hs author, has pointed out
repeatedly, citeproc-hs's MODS parser has been written with the sole aim of
parsing MODS records generated by bibutils, and nothing else, so depending
on the MODS flavour you will be using, your mileage may vary considerably.

Unfortunately, the whatever-to-MODS (bibutils) and MODS-to-CSL JSON
(citeproc-hs) routines suffered from many bugs, some of which have not been
fixed to this date (for open bug reports see
http://sourceforge.net/p/bibutils/discussion/general/ and
http://code.google.com/p/citeproc-hs/issues).

pandoc-citeproc inherited the citeproc-hs MODS parser essentially
unchanged, and since pandoc-citeproc bypasses the MODS-related routines of
both bibutils and citeproc-hs completely for what appear to be its most
popular input formats, biblatex and bibtex (CSL JSON or CSL YAML not
needing conversion anyway), there has never been much demand on the
pandoc-citeproc forum for fixing MODS-related bugs.

That being said, if you want to get an idea of whether pandoc-citeproc's
MODS-to-CSL JSON conversion could work for you, try `pandoc-citeproc
--bib2json yourbibfile.mods`.

Best,
Nick