So in the context of being generally super busy, I'm a bit overwhelmed by
the post. Thanks much for taking the time, but perhaps you can start with
first principles, and explain as briefly as possible:

What's wrong with the current CSL formatting specification that leads you
to this solution? Perhaps an example output of what cannot now be done?

I started to read your first example, as an example, and I was not seeing
the problem you were trying to solve (unless it's an orthogonal problem
around data representation, which is not our primary focus).