Hi Mario,

This error is caused by there was no reply from your dns server when we
updated the dns records, in 2.6.10 ddns.pm there is a line if
($reply->header->rcode ne 'NOERROR'), when the $reply does not exist,
makedns will report the error you got. I have refined this line in xcat
2.7(trunk) to if ($reply && ($reply->header->rcode ne 'NOERROR')) to make
the message more meaningful.

But back to your issue, I think the root reason is you might have an
incorrect nameserver listed in /etc/resolv.conf on your management node,
so when we tried to update dns records to it, we did not get any reply..
Could you show me the content of /etc/resolv.conf on your mn? it should be
something like:

search <your cluster domain>
nameservers <mn's ip>

If you need any external dns server, please specify it to site.forwarders,
then makedns will pick it to set up the dns.

Here is the documentation of how to set up dns in xcat cluster, FYI.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/xcat/index.php?title=Cluster_Name_Resolution

Mario Trangoni <mjtrang...@gmail.com>
2012-02-23 01:36
Please respond to
xCAT Users Mailing list <xcat-user@lists.sourceforge.net>

xcat-user@lists.sourceforge.net
cc

Subject
[xcat-user] makedns error xCat 2.6.10

Hi all,

I am installing xCat 2.6.10 on a CentOS 6.1 in a 4 nodes beowulf
cluster,following a the xCAT 2 Cookbook for Linux PDF.

Am I doing well or should I follow another steps?

Im getting now an error from makedns:

[root@pampa ~]# makedns -n
Handling cluster.com in /etc/hosts.
Handling localhost in /etc/hosts.
Handling localhost in /etc/hosts.
Getting reverse zones, this may take several minutes in scaling cluster.
Completed getting reverse zones.
Updating zones.
Completed updating zones.
Restarting named
Restarting named complete
Updating DNS records, this may take several minutes in scaling cluster.
Error: ddns plugin bug, pid 4931, process description: 'xCATd SSL:
makedns for root@localhost: ddns instance' with error 'Can't call
method "header" on an undefined value at
/opt/xcat/lib/perl/xCAT_plugin/ddns.pm line 998, <$parfd> line 10.

Is it a known issue?

Best regards,

Mario Trangoni