From my point view that you should consider the bare-metal and virtual
machine management to be two levels.

First, use switch-based discovery to discovery bare-metal node and install
ESXI as a general operating system;
Second, manually or using script to define the virtual machine against
certain host. After the vm node definition has done, the hardware control
and OS deployment for vm node will be simple since it's very similar with
the bare-metal node.

You mentioned the discovery of vm. I am curious about this requirement. Is
that because the vm was not created by xcat (like mkvm command), so you
need to discovery the vm from certain host?
xCAT does not have command to discovery/scan host to get vm list. A simple
way is to use 'xdsh' to run virsh command against the host.

BTW, don't your organization think the performance might be a problem to
move from bare-metal to virtual machine?

Thanks
Best Regards
 Wang Xiaopeng (王晓朋)
 IBM China System Technology Laboratory
 Tel: 86-10-82453455
 Email: w...@cn.ibm.com
 Address: 28,ZhongGuanCun Software Park,No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road,
Haidian District Beijing P.R.China 100193