Hello,

I have here a small Ubuntu cluster with one head node and a couple of
compute nodes. So far, I have used the "merge" feature for passwd / shadow
/ group to keep the users synchronized between the head and the compute
nodes. However, at some point, probably after an update, this feature has
stopped working. The regular files _do_ get sync'd though, and oddly
enough, also the merge partially works, as I have found out after some
digging. In particular, the files to merge still get transferred to

/var/xcat/node/syncfiles/merge/mergefiles

on the compute nodes. However, it seems that nothing happens after that.
The way I understand is, then the script xdcpmerge.sh should get executed,
which takes care of the actual merging process for the three files. But for
some reason, this either does not happen on the nodes and / or does
happen,  but does not work.

Any hints on where to look next would be greatly appreciated!

My xCAT version (Ubuntu package) is 2.13.10-snap201801260010.

Thanks,
Christian