I'm in the middle of upgrading our existing HPC (from RHEL 6 to RHEL 7).
I'm doing most of my testing on a separate "sandbox" test bed, but now I'm
close to going live. I'm trying to figure out how to do this with minimal
disruption.

My question: how can I install the new management node and keep it *almost*
completely operational, without interfering with the existing cluster? Is
it enough to disable DHCP, or do I need to do anything else?

How do I prevent DHCP from accidentally getting enabled before I'm ready?
Is makedhcp responsible for that?

Step-by-step, here is what I plan to do:

- Set up the new management node, but keep it inactive.
- Test
- Bring down all compute nodes.
- Via IPMI, reset all the compute nodes' BMC controllers to DHCP
- Other migration steps (home directories, modifications on the storage
node, etc.)
- De-activate the old management node (but keep it running)
- Activate the new management node.
- Discover and boot compute nodes

Is there anything glaringly obvious that I overlooked?

Thanks!

Kevin Keane | Systems Architect | University of San Diego ITS |
kke...@sandiego.edu
Maher Hall, 192 |5998 Alcalá Park | San Diego, CA 92110-2492 | 619.260.6859

*REMEMBER! **No one from IT at USD will ever ask to confirm or supply your
password*.
These messages are an attempt to steal your username and password. Please
do not reply to, click the links within, or open the attachments of these
messages. Delete them!