1.  Syncfiles is a default postbootscript, so its supposed to run on every deploy.  If its not running, check your postscript table to make sure its there as a default.  You can call it again if you think a package install is overwriting one of your custom files, just add it to the node postbootscipt line in the desired order

2.  Otherpkgs works fine, the difference is it runs as a postbootscript after the reboot, as if you were running a yum command from the OS (as opposed to stateless which packages them up in the image)

3.  For stateless there really is no "image" as fas as I know, all customizations are handled with OS/group/node definitions and postscripts.  I don't like to mess with the osdef too much other than the syncfiles.list and otherpkgs stuff.  Kepp in mind, you can create any script you want, for example to install extra rpm's after the main os deploys but before the reboot (like say mellanox drivers, that may require a reboot)

4.  I don't think so, but again if you need other packages just create a script with a yum command and attach it to the group/node def postbootscript or posctript line (making sure your order is what you want).

Thanks,

Brian Joiner