From: Robinson, Clive <clive.robin...@dxc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 4:06 AM
To: xCAT Users Mailing list <xcat-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [xcat-user] DNS issue

Hi Mark,

Having a late one so thought I’d respond with the output below.  This is a
VERY simple flat set-up with a solitary MN and 10x CN in scope to be
deployed to.

hn_01:~ # ip -4 a show 2>&1| grep inet

    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo

    inet 172.18.10.31/16 brd 172.18.255.255 scope global eth0

    inet 172.19.0.31/16 brd 172.19.255.255 scope global eth1

    inet 172.20.10.31/16 brd 172.20.255.255 scope global ib0

hn_01:~ # nslookup -type=A 172.18.10.31 172.18.10.31

Server:         172.18.10.31

Address:        172.18.10.31#53

** server can't find 31.10.18.172.in-addr.arpa: SERVFAIL

hn_01:~ # nslookup -type=A 172.18.10.31

Server:         172.18.10.31

Address:        172.18.10.31#53

** server can't find 31.10.18.172.in-addr.arpa: SERVFAIL

hn_01:~ # hostname

hn_01

hn_01:~ # cat /etc/hostname

hn_01

hn_01:~ #

We were wondering if this might be due to the fact the hostname of the MN
contains an underscore.  We noticed that the makedns -n  command produces
heaps of objections to our existing hosts file which has lots more hostnames
with underscores in.  We have a virtual environment running on a big laptop
without any underscores in MN/CN hostnames and noticed weirdness when we
introduced a new CN with an underscore in its name.  The hostname wasn’t
tracked in the computes.log and the hostname set initially was just ‘linux’
which are both effects we see in our ‘real’ Pre-Prod cluster.

This small Pre-prod cluster has a previous (currently disabled) xCAT server
running 2.7 on SLES11.3 deploying 11.3 nodes quite happily however despite
an underscore in its hostname.

Best Regards,

Clive Robinson

Mobile              +44 (0)7771-555269

Planned Time Off:         December 21 - January 4

UK Public Holidays:      December 27-28, January 3