Hello,

This thread may be offtopic on this list but I don’t have any other places to
go with people may understand the question.

I’ve bought this card thinking that it would provide IPMI for being controlled
by Confluent (and xCAT maybe...) but I think I misunderstood what the device
provides.

Anyone knows if this card is supported? Does it provide IPMI over LAN?

Long story:
There’s an old IBM System x3550 (the first one) that I use to test things, and
I was trying to add it as a compute node of Confluent but although it has an
OOB Ethernet Interface named as management it didn’t even linked when a network
cable was plugged.

So after spending countless hours trying to figure it out I’ve discovered that
I should have an additional IBM RSA-2 Slimline Card on the system for this
management port work.

I think I incorrectly assumed that this card would provide a classic IPMI over
LAN interface since the server already has BMC configuration on the BIOS that I
can even set the LAN settings like the IP address.

So I sourced one card in the used market and after 12h fighting with the card
due to wrong firmwares, mismatches between the system BIOS and the car and
broken download links on IBM website and that frustrating Fix Central webpage.

There still an BMC update that I could not do because the update package simply
does not find the BMC on the server. Probably because the package is for EL5
and I’m running EL7.

After fighting with this I was able to finally connect to the web interface
that the RSA-2 provided. I can shutdown and power on the server, see some
information and that’s it.

However I cannot control the system using ipmitool remotely and when using
ipmitool in band the LAN settings are different from those on the RSA-II card.
So I think all this configuration on the BIOS about the BMC, the ipmitool lan
commands are all bogus on this system.

Basically the card is pretty much useless and I just wasted time and little
money in this journey.

So is there any chance of making this work? Any workaround? Anyone that feels
the pain or knows the hardware enough to fill in the gaps what I may be missing?

Thanks all.