> On Oct 28, 2014, at 10:55 AM, Seth Willits <sli...@araelium.com> wrote:
>
> stdout used to go to the system log as well, but it stopped doing so in ....
> Liiiiooonnn?? I think. The change made NSLog() useless for reporting errors
> if you ever want to see those errors in your users' logs to diagnose problems.

NSLog has always written to stderr, not stdout. It also writes to ASL, so it
should show up in logs. From the 10.10 API docs:

"Logs an error message to the Apple System Log facility (see man 3 asl). If the
STDERR_FILENO file descriptor has been redirected away from the default or is
going to a tty, it will also be written there. If you want to direct output
elsewhere, you need to use a custom logging facility."

(stdout is not very useful for debugging because it's buffered. So if you hit a
breakpoint, or single-step, you usually won't see the latest output written to
stdout. For this reason stderr is never buffered.)

—Jens