> I asked for ~250TB of data from my MacBook Pro with 1TB SSD and 16GB of RAM
>
> clearly that amount can’t be given (in any circumstances)

This, to me, is the problem. Why do you believe that amount can't be given?
What you've asked for is well under the limit for a 64-bit process. As a
practical matter, the storage isn't available at the instant you ask for it,
but that doesn't mean it won't be available at the instant you try to use it.
It's the same fundamental problem as trying to verify a URI; you don't know it
will fail to resolve until it fails to resolve.