try this:
select: config - config - system - site files
select your map file in: "map database"
(waypoints and airspace files can be selected in there as well)
If your xcm file does not appear in there - it is most likely not in the
xcsoardata folder.

if all the above is good:
select: display - display: you can toggle terrain, topo and airspace to be
displayed / or not to be displayed.
let us know how you go!
Erich