Hello Esteban,
I used a mobile phone for years. Sunlight readability depends on the
specific hardware.
Bought a second hand Dell Streak, used it for years - the screen is good.
Even got the SoarTronic UART board to connect to the glider instruments -
works like a charm.
The Dell Streak is no longer supported in the Play Store, which makes the
whole installation a bit cumbersome.
The Streak only uses the GPS for altitude data.
I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 for a while - it has pressure sensor built-in.
The old Samsung Note's have pressure sensors as well - but The S4 and
Note's are discontinued.

That's when e-Book readers were supported by XCSoar.
I waited a season as I did not want to be a guinea pig.
Bought the first Kobo Glo HD years ago and have been using those since.

The Kobo Glo HD works very well with the Bluefly vario as a standalone
instrument.

A SoarTronic OTX module allows connecting the Kobo to your glider and
includes GPS, Flarm, Vario, AirSpeed.
That's what I run now.

Kobo Glo HD's are discontinued. Some people offer fully converted Kobo Glo
HD's with BlueFly varios.
Expensive - but a good solution if you do not want to do a bit of building.

The Kobo Clara HD is available new at an excellent price. It works very
well with the BlueFly vario.
But: the Clara HD won't work in OTG mode: Never, ever turn on OTG mode or
you have to reflash the sd card. as the Kobo will lock up.
Apart from that: that's what I use when I don't fly my own glider.

The Kobo Glo HD / Clara HD screen are greyscale only.
But NOTHING beats sunlight readability.
Not even the latest Oudie or 3000-4000 dollar glider instruments can come
close.
The more sun - the better! No glare.

There is plenty of info and "how-to's" out there about the Kobo conversions.

Tip: Get a charging/data cable with magnetic connector - the micro USB port
is a weakness.

Hope this helps
Erich